Dog Training isn’t just a job, it’s a lifestyle.
Well versed in the world of dogs, Julie Deans has spent a better part of her life studying and living with these special creatures.
Educated at North State Canine Academy in the US, Julie has developed Smart Dogs Canine Training to fill the gaps that many other training companies leave open. She takes a special look at the relationship, the owners, the lifestyle, and the family environment, as all that is often overlooked. Julie says, “It isn’t just about obedience; it’s about communication, respect, teaching the dog that they are not the centre of the universe, but good things come to those who are patient, self controlled and willing.”
Julie believes in a balanced, clear, common sense approach that is relationship based, and begins with positive reinforcement in a way that both owners and dogs can understand. She also believes in the importance of consequence, both positive and negative, for appropriate and inappropriate behaviours. Dogs need the full picture, not just part of it, and Julie prides herself in utilizing all aspects of a well rounded training program.
Julie continually updates and educates herself on new, tried, tested and true, and innovative methods to work with her clients canine companions. She is not afraid to try new or different techniques to suit her clients needs and goals.
Julie has competed in canine sports including titling dogs in agility (AAC, CPE), rally obedience (CARO & UKC) and terrier trials (JRTCC). She was on the BOD as the secretary and newsletter editor for the Jack Russell Terrier Club of Canada for 2016/17 and Judges Rally Obedience with the club. She is as active as she can be at rally obedience trials, and has bred and raised Olde English Bulldogges.
Education and Volunteer Work
- OMBHL Volunteer Tournament Coach Winter Provincials 2020
- OMBHL Volunteer House League Hockey Coach Winter 2019
- MYSC Volunteer House League Soccer Coach Summer 2018
- Focused Heeling (self study – online) Michael Ellis 2020
- Jerry Bradshaw (Tarheel Canine) Seminar – Scent Detection/Obedience 2017
- Developing a Problem Solving Puppy with Ann Braue (self study – online) 2017
- Jack Russell Terrier Club of Canada Board of Directors – Secretary 2016/2017
- Jack Russell Terrier Club of Canada Newsletter Editor 2016 thru 2018 (and previous years)
- Jack Russell Terrier Club of Canada Rally Obedience Judge – 2016/2017/2018/2019
- Milton Fall Fair Pet Show Judge – 2015/2016/2017/2018
- Milton Fall Fair Firefighter Appreciation Day Demo 2017/2018
- Tyler Muto 2 Day Seminar 2016
- RV Dog Trainers Seminar with Jeff Gellman 2016
- Leash Reactivity with Tyler Muto (self study – online) 2016
- Relationship Games with Mark Keating (interactive – online) 2015
- Teaching Engagement Skills with Forest Micke (self study – online) 2015
- Housebreaking 101 (self study – online) 2015
- ISTA KMODT (interactive – online) 2015
- Milton Fall Fair Dog Obedience Demonstrations 2014/2015
- North State Canine Academy 2007
- Multiple Training Courses with her own dogs at many different facilities throughout the years.
Meet the dogs …
Brandy The B-Hive ADC, SGDC, AADC, CL2, CL3-R, CL3-H, CL3-S, CL4-R, RN-MCL, RA-MCL, RPT
August 13, 2002 – April 2015
AAC: ADC, SGDC, AADC, 2007 4th Place Canada Cup 10″
CPE: CL2, CL3-R, CL3-H, CL3-S, CL4-R,
JRTCC: HIT Agility JRTRO Trial 2009, Reserve HIT JRTCC Nats 2010
CARO: RN MCL, RA MCL
She started it all.
TDCH Venture Hill’s Frankie RNMCL, URO NTD, ITD, ATD, ETC
CARO: RN MCL
CARO: 2 legs of Advanced
UKC: 2 Legs of Rally II
DMWYD – NTD, ITD, ATD, ETD, CTCH – Trick titled by a 9 Year Old handler
Iron Clad’s Big Steve NTD, ITD, ATD
Expert Dandelion Eater
Specialist in Drool Creation
DMWYD – NTD, ITD, ATD (I won’t tell you how old the handler is on this one). The only or one of the only OEB’s in Canada to be trick titled.